Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Child

Dear Whoever You Might Be,

      Now that school is officially in full and total swing, I have a little time to catch up with the blog here. Fantastic, right?

      Speaking of "Fantastic," that is one of my words for the New Year. I think I wrote in another post (maybe this one) how I tend to use a few words on a rather frequent basis. Lately, I've found myself saying "Fantastic," "One Thousdand," "Primordial," and a few more that I can't really think of right now. But enough of that.

      This semester, I am taking a Children's Literature class for my minor in education. In that class, we are reading a lot of children's books, naturally. Today I had to do a presentation on an author of my choice; I picked Roald Dahl. If the name doesn't sound familiar, his books should. Among others, he wrote Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The BFG, etc.etc.etc. I just did a whole project on him/his works so I'm not going to go into the specifics. But I DID have to reread the books and for the class I will have to read many other classic children's books.

      I have very vivid memories of when I was little and ventured to the local public library. I remember perusing the shelves and picking the most specific books I wanted to read. I do not spend much time in libraries now; I much more prefer to buy my books so that I can have them forever, even though it takes up a lot of money. I like my bookshelf to grow and create my own personal library. And one day, I hope my library will have a solid selection of children's books for my kids. At home, we still have all the books I was exposed to as a wee little chicken. And obviously, I plan on stealing them all.

      I think it is so incredibly important to read children's books to kids. And to read them to kids. And to even read them as adults. Sure, it is a little mundane to read them after working through Don Quixote and such, but it is a great reminder of the power of imagination and the foundations which every reader started at. Quite frequently, I wish I had more time to reread Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew.  Those books helped shape who I am today, and my biased opinion thinks that I turned out pretty darn swell.

      I know, I know....It is hard to get children to love reading sometimes in today's day and age. The television, the video games, the cellphones, and instant gratification. So maybe more people need to take up Roald's mind set: "So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall."

                                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                                      Me

No comments:

Post a Comment