Sunday, March 16, 2014

March Musings

Dear Whoever You Might Be,
      I cannot think of anything worthwhile to write about these days so I will just give little update-y snippets of life these days. And by life I mean the things I have been reading. Supes exciting, right?
      So I finished reading  A Clash of Kings aka the second book in the Game of Thrones series. After a whopping 969 pages of intensity and page-turning madness and heart-racing anticipation, I was able to restore it on its rightful place on my ever organized bookshelves. I desperately want to know what happens in the next one, but unfortunately I have already spent my budgeted book money for the month of March. *Le Sigh*
      After A Clash of Kings I needed something short. Real short. My brain rejected the idea of another massive read right away. So, what did I pick up? John Steinbeck's The Red Pony. Some of you may think it strange that I have never read this before (especially not in middle or high school), but I have not. I figure it was about time to read it since it's been sitting there collecting dust for decades. And though I have always claimed to loathe American literature, I wanted to give Steiny's tiny book a chance. I mean, I *did* write me senior thesis on his "big" book... I have to say though, it is a rather depressing story and I am not quite sure where the value lies. Maybe I'll just keep reading Steinbeck and eventually figure it out.
      The Red Pony was read in all of 2.5 seconds, so naturally I needed something a little lighthearted to come next. I wanted to read one of the thirty thousand classics I have on my shelves and just haven't read yet. I decided on one of Jane Austen's works, but oh! Which one? I bashfully admit that up until a few days ago I had only read Pride and Prejudice even though I own all of her works...oops. I was trying to decide between Persuasion and Northanger Abbey because those are the shortest and I still required something of minimal length. I quickly settled on Northanger and praise the Lord that I did because I *loved* it. LOVED. I laughed so much. It has such a different tone than P&P and I discovered that Northanger was actually written before the others. It was so witty and clever and sentimental, and honestly, relatable. If you have ever seen "The Jane Austen Book Club" movie, you know that no one wants to read Northanger Abbey and so it is passed off to the Jane Austen virgin and only male member of the group. After reading it, I cannot understand why no one wanted it and why it does not get more praise. I know I haven't referenced "You've Got Mail" in centuries, but just as Kathleen Kelly's sentimental heart beats wildly whenever Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy end up together, my heart did the same in Northanger.
      I finished Northanger Abbey last night before bed and now I am gazing upon the multitude of unread books I have crying out to me on my shelves and wondering which of them I will deign to pull out and place on my bed-side table. Should I read another classic? If so -Russian, English, French? Should I read something short or long? Sentimental or historical? Or maybe, contemporary or recently purchased? So many books, so little time. Such a problem to have, I know.


                                                                          Sincerely,
                                                                                   Me

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Bless your heart . . . what *will* you read next??!! :)

    ReplyDelete