Monday, October 20, 2014

Um...October?

Dear Whoever You Might Be,


      I cannot believe that there are only 10 days left of October. Where the heck did the time go???
      The semester is half-way over, I've written my first papers, there is basically no difference in temperature whatsoever, and Christmas decorations are pervading every dollar store near you. Cray.
      I do not think I've written a "bookish" post in a while (or at least I can't remember if I have), so let's make this one here a bookish one, shall we?
      **Quick side-note** I am all about the one-two sentence paragraphs right now, so just bear with me!


      Ok so basically school reading has taken over my life. For a while I was doing pretty good  with maintaining personal reading alongside my assigned reading, but that lasted for about September. My book of choice was "The Light and the Dark" by Mikhail Shishkin. If you think that name sounds Russian, you are correct and can award yourself if a cookie. Pretty much the only reason I picked it up was because it sounded Russian AND because it is a fictitious compilation of love letters written between two separated lovers. The sentimentality of it got to me, and when I finished the book, I was a wee bit sad. If you are looking for something a little different and sentimental, I highly recommend this book.
      Well, that ^^ certainly was not a one-sentence paragraph. Huzzah!
       Since that book, though, I have not had time to pick up another "for fun-ner." Granted, I have enjoyed the assigned reading enough to not let it get to me. So far we have read a lot of Flannery O'Connor, Poe, Cormac McCarthy, Literary Theory, Teaching Theory, etc. Currently, we are reading "The Black Dahlia," which is kinda creepy since it took place in Los Angeles...hmm...
      Next, we are onto "Frankenstein" which I think is highly appropriate considering Halloween is just a hop and a skip away. And it is rather embarrassing because "Frankenstein" is one of those books which people always assume I have read... but I have not. Oops! Guess there is no time like the present!
      Hmm what else, what else...?
      I really want to do a dramatic reading of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw" while it is still October. I don't know if I'll have time, but I guess if it is important enough to me, I will make the time!
      I really wish I had something incredibly profound and intellectual to talk about right now, but my brain is basically the equivalent of fried chicken.
      So that is all. I will try to write more often, as I always say. Maybe when I have something more interesting to say, I will be more inclined to say it.


                                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                                  Me

1 comment:

  1. Megan, Megan, I do so enjoy your posts! Especially about books. I, also, cannot believe that we're two-thirds of the way through October. How did that happen? Do you know what that means? Sixty-five days until CHRISTMAS! Feed that bird to your fried chicken brain! Love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete