Monday, July 2, 2012

To Whom it May Concern

Dear Whoever You Might Be,

      Yes. The name of my blog does, in fact, possess an oxymoronic element. Eloquence versus Inarticulate. The former describes fluent and appropriate speech; the latter, is the unfortunate lacking of expression in ones words. I believe I exemplify both.

      But, I must admit, the creativity of such a title was not my own. It is a phrase pulled from Edith Wharton's novel The Age of Innocence. For any of you (if there are any of YOU out there reading this) who hasn't read this classic tale of desire, betrayal, duty and passion, you must. Here's a little quote to surge any curiosity that may be formulating:
                  "He bent and laid his lips on her hands, which were cold and lifeless. She drew themaway, and he turned to the door, found his coat and hat under the faint gaslight of the hall, and plunged out into the winter night bursting with the belated eloquence of the inarticulate"

      When I read that line, I fell in love. Not the Nicholas Sparks kind of love. Definitely not a Bella Swan and Edward Cullen kind of love either. That small phrase became my Helen of Troy. My Romeo and Juliet. My White Rabbit guide to Wonderland.  It struck me as one of the greatest truths known....to me at least.

      Reader, I suffer from what is tragically referred to as the inability to say what is on one's mind at the exact moment that one wishes to say it, and worse, the inability to say it well.  Too often I find myself feeling like Kathleen Kelly in You've Got Mail...I too get completely tongue-tied when I'm provoked and my mind goes blank. Then, then I spend all night tossing and turning trying to figure out what I should have said...

      There is no explaination for my inability to verbally express myself the way I intend to. I am an English major. I've read all the great classics from Don Quixote to Anna Karenina, even the Bible! In my mind I think the most elaborate and witty thoughts. I have an imagination that would put Dr. Seuss to shame. And yet, somehow, there is a fault line in the connection between my thoughts and my words. My friends at school  have narrowed the diagnosis down to the fact that my brain just works too fast for my mouth....if this is true, then the only remedy is to write down my thoughts and musings on, well, just about everything.

      Inspired by The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, I began writing letters to people; friends in different states, the occassional family member, and yes, to a boy across the country. I found this method much more affective in saying everything exactly the way I thought it. My words flowed perfectly and I finally felt like I was being heard.
 
      Yes. This all sounds cornier than the Mid-West. But it's true. Now don't get me wrong. I do not sit alone, friendless, surrounded by the comfort of my books. I'm Vice President of my sorority. I've been in two of our school plays. I have more clothes and shoes than closet space. I date WAY too many boys.  I laugh, I cry, and I make stupid jokes (take the "corny" joke for example). I love hard and get broken down even harder. I spend too much time on facebook and can recite the Twilight movies (don't be fooled by the presumed mockery from my mention of the vampire romance above...it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Don't judge. We all have them). I watch Pretty Little Liars and work at a clothing store in the mall.  I am a junior in college who is graduating early. I LOVE travelling.  I'm basically your average twenty year old girl...Your average girl who can never get her thoughts across the first, second, or millionth time.

      So finally, to conclude, my point in starting this blog is to say all the thoughts that I wish I could have said in the moment. The words that I have to hold back with the risk of offending someone. The words that a lof of people cannot express in an eloquent manner. Reader, I am continuing my newfound passion for writing letters; I am writing them to you.
  
    For now, all I have to leave you with is John Mayer, and I too implore you to"say what you need to say".

                                                       Sincerely,
                                                                  Me

4 comments:

  1. I love it, Meg! I'm so proud of you for starting a blog and I will most definitely keep reading it. It'll give me comfort to read your thoughts when I'm miles and miles away next semester.

    As for the post - you're brilliant. I love your ability to wrap in references from classic literature to modern entertainment. You make everything fit and flow so well. I really enjoy reading what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to keep up with your life!! I love ya & miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my -- you are FUN to read! I am going to enjoy this immensely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very well said! LOVE the literary references!

    ReplyDelete