Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Rankin Christmas

Dear Whoever You Might Be,


      Twas the night before Christmas. That's right folks -today is Christmas Eve and tomorrow is that magical day of peace, joy, Jesus, presents, cookies, and for some... fruitcake. I bet ya'll cannot wait! I know I can't.
      This year, the Christmas Season has been a bit of a whirlwind. Up until about a week ago, it did not even feel like Christmas time. The weather is always warm and sunny in Los Angeles, making it hard to get into the snuggly snow spirit. Finals took up 110% of my life, so there was no time to do serious Christmas shopping, or bake cookies, or look at lights on houses. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggled to get in the Christmas frame of mind this year.
      But despite the difficulties, I (and I am sure most people) still have the yearly traditions that coincide with Christmas. For me, one of the biggest traditions is watching each and every Christmas movie that I love. Everyone has their favorites -for many it is the classic "A Christmas Story" which plays on repeat on TBS Christmas day. For others, "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" or "It's a Wonderful Life." I know in my household, "Elf" and "Fred Clause" are among the top picks for favorites. But for me, it will always be the classic Rankin/Bass stop-motion animations. I am sure you have *at least* heard of them:
  •  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • A Year Without a Santa Claus
  • Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Jack Frost
  • Rudolph's Shiny New Year
  • Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey...
...and many other seasonal and holiday favorites. Some of those, like "Nestor," are often forgotten. But I will not forget. I could never. Those movies are a part of me, ingrained in my notion of Christmas. First comes the birth of Jesus, then comes these movies.
      It should come as no surprise that we own most of these on DVD, but every year it gets a little harder to watch them. Time, disinterest, growing up...they all make sitting down and watching these 30-60 min programs more and more difficult each year. It used to be easy -back in the day, TV channels like ABC, ABC Family, etc. used to play them frequently for our viewing pleasure. But now with Hallmark Christmas movies and updated animation technology, these movies have gotten tossed adrift to the Island of Misfit Movies. If it were up to me, the Rankin/Bass Christmas movies should RANK at the foremost of *Everyone's* movie To-Do list. But my soul is an old one, and kids these days don't really "get it."
      Though these movies rank high on my Christmas priority list, I guess the important thing is what they really mean to me. I don't watch them every year out of duty. I watch them because of the joyful memories and sentiments they bring me. I can easily recall laughter and family sing-alongs as soon as my eyes spot the opening scenes from these movies. So many family anecdotes stem from the quotes and lyrics from these movies. So many ornaments on the Christmas tree are replicas of our favorite characters. I don't think I can remember a time without these movies in my life. That is why they are important. And I guessssss as long as everyone experiences something similar when they watch their favorite Christmas movies, then however these animations rank on your list is A-OK with me....
     
      So a Merry Christmas to all. And to all, a Good Night.
                      
                                                                  Sincerely,
                                                                            Me
     

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, darling girl! Rest assured that this "old soul" has done her part in imparting the importance of those classics to her children *and* grandchildren!! Love you -- enjoy your break and family!! :)

    ReplyDelete