Friday, March 20, 2015

Skies

Dear Whoever You Might Be,
   
      I just finished (literally, just finished) reading Olive Schreiner's novel The Story of an African Farm. This story is nothing like I expected, and to be honest, I am still not sure what to think of it. It touched me, it moved me, it frustrated me, it humored me. I do not want to go into great depths of detail regarding this story, but I will advise you all to read it if you have the time.
      The reason I bring this up is because I came across a quote about halfway through the novel which stuck with me until the end. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't remember what. Then I pulled out my little notebook filled with quotes that I find in books and like and write down. Yes, I have a notebook filled with quotes that I come across and like in books that I read. Anyways, I was flipping through and scanning my compilation of quotes to try and find what this particular one reminded me of -I found two answers, and I am thrilled with both.
      For your reading pleasure, here are the quotes:
  • "And so, it comes to pass at last, that whereas the sky was at first a small blue rag stretched out over us, and so low that our hands might touch it, pressing on us, it raises itself into an immeasurable blue arch over our heads, and we begin to live again" ---The Story of an African Farm
  • "A large red drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone, and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone, and a torn cloud, like a bloody rag, hung over the spot of its going" ---The Grapes of Wrath
  • "And while I was writing to you, clouds covered up the sky. As if someone has wiped everything off the school blackboard with a dirty rag and there's nothing left but white streaks" ---The Light and the Dark
Hopefully you see the connections where I did. If not, it is in the descriptions of the sky having to do with rags. Blue rag. Bloody rag. Dirty rag. Apparently I really like quotes that describe the sky in such a way. I don't want ramble about these quotes and the beauty I find in them and the literary connections that span from the 19th century (African Farm) to the 21st century (Light and Dark). Rather, I would like to just leave those quotes for you, my readers, to marinate with. To open your imagination to. To, hopefully, enjoy as I have enjoyed.


                                                              Sincerely,
                                                                       Me

No comments:

Post a Comment