Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tiff

Dear Whoever You Might Be,

      When Audrey Hepburn had a Down Day, she went to Tiffany's. Or at least her character went to Tiffany's. Better yet, her character ate BREAKFAST at Tiffany's. It made her feel better about life, love and the general pursuit of happiness. Though it never had such a lasting effect as, say, looking for Cat in the pouring rain with a hot man by her side, eating her scone and drinking her coffee in front of the glimmering windows on the New York street corner always seemed to do the trick for a day in desperation.

      I have a place like that. I have two places, actually. Anthropologie would be the first. Barnes & Noble, the second. I don't know what it is about these places that automatically lifts my spirits upon stepping through their air-conditioned thresholds. It is something in the air, NO, something in the smell. The atmosphere. The people. The clothes. The books. The general lifestyle I wish I lived my life by. I could spend a lifetime in Anthropologie and I could spend even longer in Barnes & Noble.

      It would be schaweeeet if when I get married I could register at Anthropologie. I'm pretty sure that isn't a "thing" yet, but I'm hoping that maybe if I get the idea of an AnthroRegistery enough street credit, maybe, just maybe, someone with corporate authority will hear my voice.  In the mean time, I will just continue to strive to fill my closet accordingly.

      Don't get me wrong though. One does not need to shop at their store of comfort in order to feel alleviated from the burdens of life. I mean seriously, I am a poor college student. If I wanted to buy anything on my own at Anthro I would have to limit myself to a piece of thread in the SALE section. I am not ashamed though because if I could eat breakfast everyday in front of their handcrafted window designs, I would.

      I know I haven't said anything yet about the glorious relief achieved at Barnes & Noble yet, but fear not, for hear it is.....


....And then some....

Did you like my use of my Pinteresting just then?

      I guess what I am trying to say is this: It is prime and pertinent to have *at least* one place where you can go and smell and stand and look around you to feel a little better. If it is the gym, then I hope you are doing a little more than just smelling and standing around. If it is a cake shop, maybe just smelling and standing is all you should be doing. Be what it may, it helps, even if only for a little. It may sound too "first world problem-y" or too materialistic but I think there really is something to being surrounded by your passions.

      Sure, maybe I should go smell the inside of a Church more often. And who knows, maybe that will be number three on the list. But for now, my Cat is safe and sound and snuggled up on the couch. Life is good and, today, I went into Barnes & Noble and smelled.

                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                      Me





 

No comments:

Post a Comment